The eastern arc and other mountains are home to the best remaining rainforest in Tanzania. Hiking in the forest provides an alternative to vehicle based game driving. Monkeys swing in the trees, and insects scurry about, and tall trees branch overhead. The most popular destinations for forest hiking are the Udzungwa Mountains, Amani Nature Reserve, Kilimanjaro and Ngorongoro forest.
Most popular forests:
- Kilimanjaro - all routes up Kilimanjaro are in the forest for the first day, and some of the 2nd. It's pristine montane forest
- Udzungwa Mountains - Full of monkeys with 2 easily to spot endemics, Udzungwa is the best hiking destination in Tanzania
- Mahale and Gombe - to see the Chimps you must climb into the forest
- Amani Nature Reserve - some of the best remaining rainforest and the cheapest to visit, and the next best hiking
- Ngorongoro forest - there are a few forest treks in the Ngorongoro Highlands